Friday, December 26, 2014

Michael Babine-Dinnen: 20% Project for the Collaborating for Community Course

In the growing piles of standards to be covered in all of our classes, I find myself constantly sorting through each one and trying to plug it into a hierarchy of importance for me to ensure I meet with all of my students. One standard that I have not done a lot of thinking about though is the fact that I do not touch on being a digital citizen within my classes. After having time to think about digital citizenship and talking with my students, I am now convinced that it has to be towards the top of my pile of standards to cover with each class.

My plan comprised of two separate activities: the first one related to giving credit to digital media and the second required my students to use an online discussion forum. First, in my reading and in my interactions with my students, it repeatedly came to my attention that students do not have a real good grasp on where their get their digital media...besides YouTube. Therefore, I worked on a project where my students had to repeatedly cite where they retrieved their media from within their assignment. My students had to create a timeline and each event required a video or an image and each image required a citation, which was woven into the rubric of the grading process as well. Here is an example of a student's submission where she properly cited where she obtained her image from:


In working on this assignment, I awarded more credit for being more specific and for being more accurate. Some students posted in the link of the image while others would do something similar to the above example with providing the website while others would have the website and also have the person who made the video or the individual who took the picture when possible.

The second part of working to better prepare my students to be digital citizens had me create a TedEd video and then have a discussion forum for them to post to with their responses and then also respond to their classmates posts. The goal of this assignment was to have my students interact with each other in a digital way so that they could work on proper etiquette in working online. I wanted them to interact and disagree online by restating the original posters idea and then agree or disagree with the idea and explain why. Here are a couple examples of student postings:




During my 20% project, I spent my time doing multiple things that had me stroll down multiple paths. I spoke with my students frequently about how they interact with digital media and how frequently they know the source of what they are viewing; I worked in going down multiple rabbit holes on Twitter so that I could see what people were up to in their classrooms and beyond; and then I spoke with my colleagues to see what they were reading about and what they were learning about in their own studies.

As for the resources that I found most valuable, I think I found my students to be incredibly valuable as I learned about what they were doing with figuring out how to be digital citizens. I also found the Digital Citizenship site from Edina to be incredibly helpful as a resource.

Finally, the open ended nature of this assignment was kind of difficult for me. I like having direction and then following those directions as I work. However, I think that by having it be open ended, I was able to go down paths that I may not have gone down otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment