Monday, December 15, 2014

Rachael Ramy 20% Project for the Collaborating for Community Course

How did you spend your time?
I spent my time teaching my students how to be responsible digital citizens as we worked on our animal report presentations that we were creating with Google Slides.  We focused primarily on -  Teachers: c.  promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.  Working with younger students allows me the opportunity to build digital citizenship skills from the ground up!  We started with the basics – learning what a digital citizen is, how to take out computers and put them away again so that another student can use them without issue, how to log on to the computer itself and also Google Docs, and how to log off and shut down when we are done.  We also talked about how to find information about our animals by searching websites and how to appropriately cite the information that we found.  I want to make sure that my students realize that our technology at school is shared among many students, so we need to be aware of how to appropriately use the technology when it’s our turn and how to leave it for others once we are done.  I also want them to be aware of the validity of websites and how to properly acknowledge the information that they find.  My hope is that if they are taught these skills now as 3rd graders they will carry these digital citizenship skills with them throughout their lives to be respectful and responsible users of technology.


What resources did you find most valuable?
I found several BrainPop videos that helped with promoting digital citizenship to use with our animal reports.  The BrainPop video on ‘citing sources’ was especially helpful when we were writing our bibliographies.  We also took a look at the Kara and Winston videos from Childnet International.  All of these videos were helpful in reinforcing digital citizenship with my students.  I especially like how these videos cater to younger students by putting the information into simpler terms that they can understand, especially since many of them are just starting to learn how to use technology to assist them in their learning.

How did the open-ended nature of this assignment mesh with your learning style?
I have to say that the open-ended nature of this assignment was quite difficult for me.   Being a task-oriented kind of person, I typically work best with a specific set of guidelines to follow when I am completing assignments.   That way I can make sure that I am doing everything the ‘right’ way and check things off as I complete them.   As a result, I was focus-less for quite a while as I tried to figure out how to complete this project.  Even when I finally had a focus I still wasn’t sure if I was doing what I was supposed to be doing!   I am definitely someone who appreciates rubrics or checklists so that I can feel confident that I have delivered the desired results.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of being able to build skills from the ground up and also appreciate that you taught some of these skills in the context of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete