Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Sophie Toner - 20% project:Collaboration and Community with a Global Perspective

StandardPromote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility-Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices. 



Promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.

Prezi presentation

After teaching the science unit Sun Moon and Stars with my 3rd graders, I show them how they can create a Prezi presentation on that theme. They select a non-fiction book on Sun Moon and stars, choose a topic and write 5 facts about it. Then they can go to Prezi.com and create their presentation by adding pictures to their facts. It's a great time to talk about plagiarism, copyright, and respect of others' work. Since each Prezi is accessible to any student I need to emphasize the fact that it has to be considered private. Or I would need to find a way to secure each Prezi. I have had this problem in the past, some Prezis had been deleted. So even though it is virtual, it still belongs to someone. It is someone works and needs to be respected as such. This is definitely a good digital citizenship lesson to be added to this unit.

Plagiarism and copyright:
  • In French  


Develop and model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of other cultures using digital-age communication and collaboration tools.

Mystery Skype

I discovered Mystery Skype via Twitter and loved the concept right away as it brings authenticity to my French immersion students bridging the gap between the class room and francophone communities and countries.




In French:
Mystery Skype game rules:


Netiquette for live online communication: 


Contacts list for future Mystery Skype in French: 
https://docs.google.com/a/apps.edina.k12.mn.us/spreadsheets/d/1jZSwh7Irbe0PiyY1lH6mdqZa3vY52FpGvYUa0aESsFE/edit#gid=892330444
I found out that the best way to schedule the next Mystery Skype is to do it via Twitter and ask for retweet. 

    • I spent most of my time researching the right connection for Mystery Skype.
    • Twitter was a better social media to get connected that the actual Mystery Skype website. After two weeks on that site there has been no contacts made through my lesson.
    • I am fine with open ended assignment as long as I have a clear idea of the expectations and the criteria for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment