Thursday, May 28, 2015

Alison Swiggum - Summative Assessment Project - 10-12 Grade Orchestra

Project Description

Orchestra Summative Assessment Link Here

In orchestra, there are summative assessments that are very authentic in that students work towards a concert and then present their knowledge by performing the music they have learned for an audience. What has been difficult in the past, is how to best "grade" this summative experience (concert).

I already do performance tests prior to the concert, where students submit a video recording of specific sections of the music and I have used a paper rubric to assess each student individually.  I will continue to improve upon this assessment by digitalizing my rubric now that I learned about Doctopus and Goobric during this course.

In this course, I've developed a digital version of a concert reflection writing assignment to be paired with the actual concert experience. This teaches the student to evaluate him/herself and the ensemble as a whole to know what went well, and what areas should be a focus as the student moves forward.  My goal for this course was to digitalize this assessment so that it could be more efficiently managed.

For my concert reflection I used VideoNot.es and Google Forms.
Students would watch their concert performance which was recorded at the live event.  As they watched the concert on YouTube, students would take notes on VideoNot.es on what they felt went well, constructive thoughts.  Due to data privacy, I do not have a screenshot of my students' concert, but here is an example of one of my conducting lesson YouTube clips and VideoNot.es so you can see how a student could be watching their concert and taking notes at the same time with exact timing referenced:
http://www.videonot.es/edit/0B5MPXFna6POAUzZsR1RVUGlBZEU
After students finished watching the concert and taking notes, they would go to this Google Form shared with them and complete the Concert Reflections using their VideoNot.es to assist them.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oPo-uOtk8SMzGtnRow7ZELh7XhKGAOzepgTLSYGzWWE/edit?usp=sharing

Authentic Assessment

This is authentic because students have a final performance of the music that they have been working on for each quarter.  They have the opportunity to perform in an auditorium for a live audience so they can truly experience the nervousness and excitement of performing for people.  The Concert Reflection Assessment is authentic because it adds this higher learning skill of reflecting on your experience and making adjustments on what to improve upon as one moves forward with the next performance.  When students take time to reflect upon their learning, they know which areas to improve and to celebrate what they have accomplished.  Students have the added benefit to look back on their reflections from year to year to see the musical growth or to reassess on what they should focus in the future.

Personal Reflection

Just as I teach my students the importance of reflecting on their concert experiences, I too, take time to reflect on my teaching, the concerts that I conduct, and my own learning experiences such as this assessment course.  I have enjoyed this course as I had opportunities to experiment and learn about new assessment methods using technology.  As I work with them, I find ways that I can replace my "old" way of doing things with a new, more efficient, and technologically savvy method.  I hope to continue to improve at incorporating technology into my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment