Sunday, May 24, 2015

Rachael Ramy - Summative Assessment Project

Description:
My summative project uses the site ForAllRubrics to create badges to be used with my students. The badges are used to acknowledge positive student behavior in my classroom.

Standards Addressed:
The Meadowbrook Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports(PBIS) goals are to be Kind, Safe and Ready.  The badges focus on two of these three behavioral areas.  Kindness badges include the Random Acts of Kindness Badge and the Happy Helper Badge.  Ready badges include the Good Listener Badge and the Teamwork Badge.  
Authenticity:
Students need to learn the skills of working together and being kind to one another, as these are life-long skills that will carry over to their adult life.  Using badges is authentic assessment because students are working toward earning acknowledgment for positive behaviors and interactions with other, just like people do in real-world situations.  

Personal Reflection:
This project has been a bit of an up and down ride for me.  As I researched badges and looked at a variety of websites, I discovered that many of the sites tend to be geared toward older students and adult learners.  Trying to figure out the best way to adapt badging for younger students was a challenge for me, but through a lot of trial and error, I was able to find a solution that worked for my students.  One major hurdle I had to overcome was how to get my students the badges when they don’t have their own e-mail addresses.  Most badging sites award and store the badges electronically.  Without email addresses I was unable to award the badges to my students in this way.  After looking at multiple badging websites I was able to finally find a site ForAllRubrics that allowed me to create my own badges as well as print them off.  This way I am able to give my students a physical copy of their badge rather than an electronic copy.  I actually think that my students preferred the physical badge because there was something special about actually holding what they’ve earned.  We also came up with a way to store our physical badges since we didn't want to lose them.  Students decorated a piece of paper with their name as a place to store their badges as they earned them.  Some students chose to keep their badge page inside their desks while others chose to display them on the side of their desks.  
When I introduced the badging project to my students they were very receptive and excited to begin earning badges.  They were so enthusiastic that they came up with a list of additional badges that they could earn!  Here are a few of the badge ideas my students suggested:  Perseverance Badge, Problem Solving Badge, and the Ready to Learn Badge.  It will be fun to incorporate these new badges next year along with the ones I'm currently using this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment