Great Solar Oven Cookout 2015!
The Project: My students will be designing and building solar ovens. In the past, part of this project required students to turn in written work (a packet documenting the design process). This year I am asking them to take photos and create an Explain Everything project (video) to document the process. They will also be comparing their oven design to another student's design and discussing similarities and differences.
Here is a check-list I am asking them to use to track their work.
- Packet 1: Learning about how Solar Cookers work (research). Initial design plan.
- Packet 2: Build, test, improve, test. Collect data, take pictures.
- Testing day: Collect temperature data for 30-45 minutes. Compare/contrast oven to a different design in the class.
- Students are asked to create their Explain Everything project a little at a time (and reminded to SAVE as they go).
- 18.104.22.168.1 Apply and document an engineering design process that includes identifying criteria and constraints, making representations, testing and evaluation, and refining the design as needed to construct a product or system to solve a problem.
- 22.214.171.124.2. Trace the changes of energy forms, including thermal, electrical, chemical, mechanical or others as energy is used in devices.
- 126.96.36.199.2. Determine and use appropriate safety procedures, tools, measurements, graphs and mathematical analyses to describe and investigate natural and designed systems in Earth and physical science contexts.
- IB Deisgn Criterion C: The student:
- i. constructs a logical plan, which outlines the efficient use of time and resources, sufficient for peers to be able to follow to create the solution
- demonstrates excellent technical skills when making the solution
- follows the plan to create the solution, which functions as intended and is presented appropriately
- explains changes made to the chosen design and plan when making the solution.
How is this an Authentic Assessment: One of the reasons I wanted to change this assessment into a screen-cast was to make it more authentic. Students will be capturing their work in real-time and taking photos of their thermometers showing their tests done at home. In the past, it was too easy (and too common) for students to fill in the packet with made up data. The purpose of this project is for students to apply what they have learned to an engineering/design project.
Personal Reflection: I have assigned this project and will be grading it in late May (so I have not seen student work yet). It took quite a bit of time to write up the project into steps that the students could manage. I am hoping that these project will be a better reflection of the work that was done and will be relatively quick to grade using Goobric.